What will you do in this role:
As an enthusiastic and driven leader, you'll be responsible for all parts of the design process and its outcome, i.e. driving design vision, establishing and following a user centred-design process, pixel-perfect interaction design, and user research and validation methods. You're naturally interested in mentoring, managing and growing your team to ensure people are set up for success, playing to their strengths and always, always, always deliver simple, powerful and beautiful experiences for our users. You'll be accountable for driving and delivering the best possible experience design for all the production streams of Atlassian products at Spartez, and will work with product managers and engineering leaders to prioritise work for the Design team. You will be reporting to a Design Manager in Sydney, and will interact with a large number of colleagues in various other offices around the globe (we’re about 130 designers all up).
Your tasks and accountabilities in detail:
- Engage with the dev managers and product managers to agree on priorities and execute against them. This includes scheduling work for the Design team, removing any obstacles, facilitating timely decision making in the team and reporting status to your Design Manager and other stakeholders.
- Drive the design vision for the products and explore product improvements and new concepts in close collaboration with product management and engineering.
- Engage with the designers in the Sydney team and across all of Atlassian to ensure experiences are shared and teams work collaboratively when required.
- Facilitate design leadership for the team. This includes championing user centred design methods, reviewing and sparring on concepts and design solutions, and running other regular design rituals like collaboration days.
- Hold regular 1-on-1s with your designers and tech writers to discuss issues and concerns outside of their regular design activities, and to coach and mentor them in their careers.
- Be responsible for interviewing potential new design team members and making informed hiring decisions.
- Champion the adoption of practices and ways of Design thinking to make Spartez experience-led on all levels.
- You will also need to get involved in craft - your team has a lot of impact on product envisioning and development, and while your main task will be to look after your team, you’ll often have to lend a hand by conceptualising solutions and helping other designers to execute on a vision.
More about your team:
You'll be joining (and leading) a small but rapidly growing team of designers in the Spartez office in Gdansk. This small group, however, is part of the 130+ Atlassian Design team, working on key Atlassian products like JIRA, Confluence and Bitbucket. You'll be part of a multi-geo group of designers who work together to ship the best possible experiences with every release. We are constantly growing, learning, adapting and trying new things. You’ll be joining a team that is crazy smart and very direct. We challenge each other constantly to improve our work and ask hard questions. We're dedicated to agile methodology and big believers in 'lean UX', which means we don’t do big deliverables for their own sake. We also know all too well the importance of validating assumptions about users and use various types of testing to prove ourselves right (or wrong). It’s all about improving our user’s experience—no matter who or where it is.
Some other tidbits of information:
- Your team will consist of 4 designers and 2 tech writers.
- You'll be working on some of Atlassian's most exciting products, like JIRA, Bamboo, FishEye & Crucible and Clover.
- You will have full access to the Atlassian Design community of 130+ designers and tech writers.
- You'll be required to travel to Sydney about twice a year ... luckily, it's as beautiful as a place can get.